Thursday, December 11, 2008

Bah Humbug

For some reason I haven't had any urge to blog lately. Or to cook. Very unlike me. Or to clean the house due to living in the dustiest city in the world (yes even compared to living in Karratha desert with red dirt surrounding us). I haven't even had the urge to shop (ok that's not entirely true, some things never change). Or to even get out of my pyjama's before noon which unfortunately the Italia Post man can attest to whilst delivering a package to our house.

Usually this time of year back at home, I get so excited about Christmas and husband's birthday which is on Boxing Day.

There's usually Christmas parties at my work, then at husband's work and usually by now I've put up our Christmas tree and made and frozen the traditional Polish dumplings we eat for Christmas Eve. I'm usually catching up with all my friends for Christmas lunches and drinks and this year of course, this hasn't happened as we are so far away from each other. Watching CNN every day and watching hundreds of people lose their jobs just before Christmas has also put me into a really down mood and I feel almost guilty at being able to go out and buy presents and not have to worry where our mortgage payment is going to come from.

So this year it has taken me a little while to get into Christmas spirit. I'm not all 'bah humbug' as I still love Christmas but for some reason I am feeling a little homesick this year. And I'm missing our dog who I remember was alive last Christmas. She is probably happy to be in doggy heaven as this year she won't have to adorn tinsel necklaces and flashing dog tags that read 'doggy Christmas'.

One thing I am looking forward to this year is my Christmas gift from husband. Every year for the last nine Christmases we have spent together I have told him exactly what I want. Boring I know, but that's me.

But this year because we don't have family presents to open I told husband I want him to pick something. By the way, the reason we don't have family presents is not due to an uncaring family, it's due to me requesting no presents due to our lovely issues with Italia Post in the past.

So as you can imagine, this whole present buying has stressed him out considerably. He left the house for three whole hours and came back with a few shopping bags which I have been so tempted to look at (which defeats my whole asking him to surprise me I know!). What probably happened is he bought something in the first half hour and the other two and a half hours were spent looking in windows at camera's - his latest hobby.

It's hard to believe that just over a year has passed since we left Australia. And it's even harder to believe that in just a few days time it will be Christmas and we'll be going to Salzburg in Austria for a White Christmas - something I've always dreamed of experiencing. I know I know - what have I got to be all bah humbug about? But it's my blog and I'll cry if I want to! I know all the ex-pats that read this blog know exactly what I'm talking about.

I promise I'll be more cheery for my next blog and I'll even post some photos of around Florence which has turned into a beautiful city of lights and Christmas trees.

8 comments:

Jessica said...

Gosh I can totally relate to about everything you mention (especially the pajamas part-lol)! Even the part about leaving for Austria to have a white Christmas! Except we are going to Innsbruck, but close enough right? It's a weird holiday season this year. I am hoping some vin brule and schnapps get me more in the spirit!

Gil said...

Sorry to hear you are down in the dumps. You sound just like my daughter sounded the Christmas she spent in Florence while she was in college.

What are the traditional Polish dumplings called? Thanks!

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

It must be upsetting for you, but you do have a caring husband. I am sure you will love his gift.

We were meant to be going to Austria for a few days, but for a small issue ..money.

We are not seeing anyone on the day..my sons are staying home with their families...we will see them later I think.

Anonymous said...

Hi Monika, your Florentine friend is a little upset too: the memory of the Australian honeymoon is too alive and it is very hard to get into Christmas atmosphere, thinking that only three weeks ago I was wearing my bikini in Heron Island and snorkeling in the Great Barrier Reef with my husband (also very hard to call Lorenzo my husband)!!!
The lack of work at the hotel is not promising anything good!
But we should react and maybe the beauty of Florence with Christmas light and decoration and the show of the Arno river during these raining days will help us to approach in a better way the festivity!Because I like Christmas as you like!

Monika said...

Hi Jessica - ooh you are the second person in the same day to mention Innsbruck and I had never heard of it before. So now we are planning to go there too, thanks! And have a safe trip :)

Gil, I can't seem to get onto your blog to have a look at it? Anway, the dumplings are called pierogi...and they are sooo good! A lot of work making them but well worth the effort.

Hi Anne - hope you have a great chrissy, one with lots of good holiday memories I'm sure!

Silvia - definetely no beach weather here right now! But i love Florence in winter, it's so beautiful. See you soon xxx

Gil said...

Gil, I can't seem to get onto your blog to have a look at it? Anway, the dumplings are called pierogi...and they are sooo good! A lot of work making them but well worth the effort.

I have no blog. I'm just the old guy from Expats website and love reading blogs. My daughter spent two years in Florence and my family has visited there in the past and hope to do so again.

I have quite a few Polish friends here and have had pierogi on many times. They are so good. The is a convent in New Britain, CT where the nuns make them to sell around the holidays. I enjoy reading your blog. I mentioned what you wrote about the uncle being charged with making sure the tables had full bottles of vodka to my son. He told me that at the Polish wedding that he attended here in CT there was also an uncle with bottles of vodka for the tables. Your traditions are being continued on this side of the pond.

Nikki D'Agostino said...

hehe, pyjamas til midday :)
it's all part of the lady of leisure lifestyle...

it must be something in the air, cos i am really homesick at the moment too! The worst part is my oven at home doesnt work so I cant bake cookies or xmas cakes! :(

Unknown said...

Merry Christmas Monika! I hope you have a wonderful day!

Warmest wishes,
Sue and the gang